Saturday, July 5, 2008

Yellowstone National Park

It is the oldest national park and is the icon for the American park service. Over two million acres of rugged mountains, waterfalls, trees, and many animals. The last of the true natural wonders of our great land.

The bison roam free and the antelope and elk are ever present in large numbers.
Wolves have been reintroduced to the park ten year ago and now roam in packs bringing a needed wheel spoke back to the circle of life of the forest.

The fires of 1988 are still visible with over 700 acres of damaged large pole pines and hundreds of dead trees lying on the forest floor. It is a sad and depressing sight to see our majestic forest destroyed. The tour guides all say that it was a natural thing and a must to keep the area healthy, but to me it was very upsetting.

The surprise to all of our little gypsy band was upon check in to find there was no TV, no wifi, and no cell phone reception. I felt as though I was in an alien land of stick trees. The only civilization we could enjoy was at the hotel and store, which were close by, because the towns at the edge of the park took hours to reach because of the terrain, roads, and dangers of driving after dark and the animals on the roads.

It was a first for me to feel as the old pioneers must have felt in the dark of the night ......alone,cutoff,and vulnerable. It was a helpless feeling of not being in control should one need medical attention or want to contact a loved one. A feeling we never experience now in the age of instant communication.

I enjoyed seeing the geysers and Old Faithful did not disappoint. The Old Faithful Inn was a highlight for me. A historic and magnificent log structure and the massive stone fireplace which is at the center of a four story lobby is intriguing. I had wanted to see it, as it is the inspiration for Disney's Wilderness Lodge, one of our favorite places in the world, and I was excited to have the opportunity.

I saw the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and the upper and lower falls. I saw Tower Falls and the Mammoth Hot Springs. I saw the animals and we drove in a bison herd.

So why did I feel that of all the parks which we have visited on this adventure, Yellowstone is my least favorite. I can't explain it. It did not ring my chimes.
I know it is unpatriotic to even think this, but that is my feeling.

So when we talked it over with the group, we all felt we wanted to leave early. We wanted to get back to civilization. I did not want to see another tree, unless it was a Dollar Tree. So we packed up our little rigs and headed for Cody Wy. and hopefully a Wal Mart.

In our 63 days on the road we have seen so many of the most famous national parks. Each has been so spectacular in it's own way, we might be jaded. Or it might be that, we can't give up our familiar comforts and want to get back to an every day routine of EASY.

I am glad we saw it and I am glad we left early and I am happy to be in Cody and I am thrilled to have had an opportunity to have some fast food for lunch and to go to a Wal Mart for a few things I have needed for a week.

We have plans to enjoy all that Buffalo Bill's town in the West can offer. The mosquito bites which cover us will soon fade and stop itching. The grocery shopping will be done and the TV news shows will bring us back to the reality
we have missed over the passed two weeks.

But the memories we have of the Tetons, Arches, Bryce Canyon, the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Zion, and Yellowstone will always be with us. Some of the mental images will be stronger in the impact which they have made on our souls,
and it will be up to all of us to assimilate these memories into our psyche.

I know that for me the Tetons will always be the memory I will recall first and will always be my favorite. What I have learned on this trip is a simple definite, you must see it for yourself to know what truly moves you and you must follow your own instincts and trust your feelings. Uniqueness is our gift to ourselves.


No comments: